As the topic of police brutality becomes more widely discussed, police departments are taking proactive steps to reduce excessive use of force. In a recent article by the Washington Post, authors examine what it takes to reduce deadly shootings. Some measures being adopted by police departments include the adoption of clear strong policies, adequate ongoing training that provides opportunities to practice in scenario-based exercises, and changing the culture of departments to reward successful de-escalation. The article describes various police departments that have been successful in reducing the use of force using these strategies.
- Executive Director Dawn Blagrove Wins 2020 King Leader Award
- Our Growing Evolution to EmancipateNC
- Can the Taxpayers of Raleigh (or Any Municipality) Afford NOT to Have a Police Oversight Board?
- Citations Instead of Arrests Lower Wilson County Incarceration Rate
- Emancipate NC Says Law Enforcement Brutalizing Citizens Can Never Be Justified